June 16, 2010

Deja vue all over again...entry one

6-15-2010

So here I go again!
I am now the proud owner of a 1979 Triumph Spitfire. Why? Because I was dumb enough to bid on one on eBay thinking “I bid such a low amount that surely I will get outbid and lose the auction…” the last time I did that I bid $1.00 on a junky, rusted, nearly-worthless MGB bumper with a $40.00 shipping charge…I won that too!
I’m currently engaged in a full restoration of a 1974 MGB roadster. I wanted to get it done by this summer but that looks unlikely now unless I really rush it and I do NOT want to do that. I bought the Spit so I could have a fun little British
roadster to drive around while I restore the B.
I don’t plan on doing much to this one…the bare minimum actually. But when the B is finished, I can see doing a rolling restoration on this one.

The car seems to be in pretty good shape considering that it is 30+ years old, that I only paid $1300.00 for it and that it is a Triumph. It supposedly only has 52,000 original miles on it…well we’ll see.

I haven’t even seen the car yet and I even won’t be picking it up until this Saturday in a town called Cherryville, NC, about 75 miles away from my home in Winston-Salem, NC. My MG buddy Kevin is getting his flatbed trailer and company pickup and we’re hauling it back here. It isn’t currently running so driving it back is not an option. And even if it was, I’m not sure I’d want to do battle on interstates 40 and 85 around Charlotte, NC in a car that I’ve never driven, don’t know and that is not much bigger than a go-kart! Spitfires make my MG look like a giant SUV in comparison!

Here is what the ebay listing said about the car:
The car set up for over a year. The carb has gummed up and the vacuum lines have split. The car will crank with quick start shot in the carb, but it won't stay running because the carb won't jet fuel. Fuel pump is pushing gas to the carb.

Now on to the car; new stuff i
ncludes alternator,
recent battery,

fuel tank sensor,
shocks,
the top's in pretty good shape as are the tires.
The driver’s floor was replaced, and overall there's not much rust.

The paint job was a budget shop type job, so it shows it.
Seats covers are cloth and threadbare, overall the electrical system was sound when the car was being driven. This is a plus if you've owed a Spitfire.

Included are a new set of Monroe Air Tune Corvette rear shocks. You put these on and reset the suspension, the car rides better, p
assenger capacity goes up and the stance of the rear tires changes. Another Spitfire oddity is the rear suspension on all models. The rear wheels toe in up top, the independent rear suspension makes for great handling, but some drawbacks. I set up the '74 Spit I used to own with these type shocks and it really worked well. And to all the Spitfire purists out there who are furious right now, please don't email me about the horrible thing I just said about the Spitfire and it amazing suspension.
The shocks are in a box in the trunk, which isn't rusted out by the way.

This car will make a great daily driver, and since it's sound overall, a candidate for restoration for a show car. I've seen basket cases go for more money than I even thought, this car is a much better start for a project. A few vacuum lines and a carb re-build and you have a driver. If I wasn't facing another surgery and feeling the financial impact of seven surgeries in eight years, this vehicle would be running, and not for sale.
About the auction, when you win, I require $500.00 as a deposit within 24 hours via PayPal. The balance due when you pick it up, which must be within five days of your win. The balance due should be in a certified form of check, or I will even take cash, with proper ID. Ebayers this is a Continential US auction only, I won't ship to far off exotic lands, even if your uncle owns a trans-atlanti
c shipping firm and you'll handle customs. I'll try to answer your questions, if I don't reply within 30 seconds, don't be upset with me, I'm not a well man. You are purchasing an old car made over seas, its not a show car, it ran great, it needs some TLC, and I really hate I'm having to sell her. The car is As-Is, no refunds, no warranty expressed or implied, you bought it, its yours, etc. If your not afraid to turn wrenches and want an easy project that you can drive and make money on, want to build a show car, or have a good mechanic and some extra cash to play with, here is your new toy. Thanks and happy ebay to all.



Well now you know everything I know about the car. I’ll, of course, post more pics and info as it comes in. Here I go again

No comments:

Post a Comment