June 28, 2010

6-25-2010

I got the garage “cleaned” out and the Spit pulled up in. My lovely Wifey isn’t too pleased with that since she wants to put her Mini Cooper in there but…oh well. As soon as I get it running I’ll give up that side of the garage to her.

I finished cleaning out and de-rusting the rear halves of the floorboards and the center tunnel. I wire brushed everything all shiny, applied rust converter and let it dry. A few layers of truck bed liner later and it’s ready to paint...I also bought some sheet metal to replace the rusted out metal in the kick panels and floorboards so methinks some welding is in my future this weekend.

I’ll be ripping out the galvanized sheet metal and home fiberglass insulation the DPO (dumbass previous owner) put down on the driver’s side floorboards to see what I’m actually dealing with in there. It won’t be good whatever it is.

I heard back from the guy from whom I bought the car regarding my “concerns” about the condition of the car being much worse than he led me to believe in his Ebay listing. His response was basically “oops, oh well.” It is probably a stretch to say that he lied about the condition of the car. However, it is also probably fair to say that he knew more about the actual condition of the vehicle than he said he did. I’d like to believe him, he seemed like a nice guy, but either he lied or just ignored what he knew was there to deceive himself about the car’s condition. Either way, I paid.

I found out that you need to either buy or make a special tool to replace the door waist seals (between the door and the side windows)…Of course you do.

Getting together a parts order for the Spit. It won’t be anything more than the bare essentials such as plug wires, hoses, belts, etc. I’ll use some of the parts I bought for the MGB (rear view bullet mirrors, cockpit insulation, sound system, etc) whenever possible as long as it won’t interfere with my immediate work on that car.

(UPDATE: just placed the parts order, this one through Victoria British. I’m also about to get four tires for the car, probably on ebay. Oh, I need a battery too…so much for getting this thing on the road for cheap.)

My Wifey is leaving for Alaska on the 29th for 25 days to do research so I’ll be able to get a lot done on the cars and the house…I’d rather have her here and work more slowly but such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment