June 23, 2010

6-22-2010

I got the Spit started and it was running today for about 30 seconds…and by that I mean that I started it 15 times and it ran for 2 seconds each time so cumulatively…30 seconds.

I’m pretty sure the problem is the carb…mucho screwed it is. When I pulled it off and opened it up on Monday, I found the inside was completely gummed up with varnish and clogged. I cleaned it with carb cleaning spray and put it back together. The needle looks like shit so I’m guessing it will have to be replaced along with the needle seat.

When I hooked up the battery and tried to start it yesterday there was nothing, zip, nada, no power to anything. I assumed it was the starter solenoid/relay which is located on the firewall and looks as old as dirt. I was wrong. I tried to charge the (supposedly good) battery that came with the car and the charger kept kicking off. I checked the voltage and the meter read 3 volts. I put the old Corvette battery I had into the car and viola’…power.

I put the charger on it and tried to start it…no joy but it turns over and tried to run so that is a good sign.

I ordered a carb rebuild kit yesterday from Moss Motors along with the starter solenoid (which I actually don’t need) and a Haynes manual…which I definitely WILL need.

I sanded some on the trunk lid and primed and painted it with a spray can. It’s blue and looks like a rattle can paint job…but what did I expect. Clear coating it made it look semi-non-shitty.

I think I’ll clean out the other bay of the garage tonight and slide the Spit in there alongside the MG…gonna have to stack stuff on top of stuff on top of more stuff but I am that good :)

I’ll probably pull the bumpers off tomorrow and continue with the body work and cutting out of rusted metal until the parts order gets here. I will be putting chrome bumpers on the car since the rubber bumper monstrosities on there now are just plain hideous.

No comments:

Post a Comment