February 26, 2011

2-26-2011

I fucked up a bit. When I installed the cockpit acoustic and thermal insulation I neglected to account for the removable center tunnel…which means I sealed it to the body tub with the butyl acoustic sheeting.

No I’m going to have to cut it off so that I can remove the tunnel to get to the clutch slave cylinder. I’ll lose the tunnel piece in the process. But I applied the butyl sheeting the way I did in the first place because the cardboard tunnel was disintegrating anyway so no great loss. Moss and VB both sell the replacement plastic tunnel covers for a somewhat reasonable price thought the shipping is what kills on big items like that.

Speaking of fucking up, the piston on my air compressor decided that it didn’t like the cylinder head so it pushed it right off, shattering the entire cylinder head in the process. It was covered under warranty at Northern Tools but when I took it back, I was told they no longer had that air compressor and was asked if I would like to buy the one that cost twice as much? I answered that I did not.

So I tried buying one from Sears but, sadly, that was a great illustration for me of why people don’t shop at Sears anymore. I’ll probably wind up getting a Craftsman anyway; it’s just a huge pain in the ass to deal with Sears anymore.

I cleaned up one of the tail light assemblies for the Spit. It turned out pretty nice and the chrome was surprisingly pit-free. I replaced the inner lens gasket with one I made myself from thin closed-cell black foam that I bought at a craft store. I’ll be replacing the lamps in the assemblies with the replacement LED units for 1157 and 1156 lamps. I’ll also have to swap out the flasher unit with an electronic flasher unit for the LED’s to work but that unit only costs a few dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment